photo Steel-Family-20.jpg
Romriell photo Steel-Family-19.jpg
 photo Steel-Family-15.jpg

lo

ve

story

connect with us

1/25/2010

Preston Steel Romriell









Jan. 22, 2010
12:28am
7lb 12oz
20 1/2 in







He's finally here, and we just can't get enough of this handsome little guy. We went into the hospital at 7 am, got all signed in, got into bed, and as soon as the nurse put the monitor on my stomach I felt like I was going to faint, so the nurse had to throw oxygen on me. Haha, I'm a weak one I know. The nurse probably thought she was in for one long day. I'm not really that queasy. I don't know what got into me. Dr. Meredith came in around 8 am. I was dilated to a 3, so he broke my water, started me on pitocin, and got things going. He told me to let the nurse know when I couldn't take the contractions anymore, and they would get me an epidural. I lay for a few hours until I was dilated to a 5 then decided I'd taken enough pain, and I was ready for my epidural. Uncle Jeff was planning on doing it for me, so we called him and he started into town. When he got to the hospital, there was an emergency, and they needed him downstairs. He came in and told me he would be a few minutes, and that he would come back as soon as he could. My aunt, Susan, who also works at the hospital was so helpful and came and sat around with me multiple times throughout the day explaining what all of the machines did and made things a lot more comforting. So while I was still waiting for Jeff, Susan got me a giant ball to sit on to help with the pain and keep my mind off things....and it totally helped! So about an hour later, Jeff made it back to the room. He put my epidural in, and he did a fantastic job because I didn't feel a thing. I was good to go! OH MAN I LOVE MY DAD'S JOB. My dad always told me that one of his favorite parts of his job was giving mothers epidurals. He loves being able to relieve so much pain in just seconds, making the rest of the labor actually bearable. I never really thought anything of it until seconds after my epidural. I knew exactly what my dad was talking about. By this time I think it was probably around 1:00pm. Dr. Meredith came in a little later to check me and I was dilated to a 7, so things were going well. I thought a few more hours and I'll have myself a sweet baby boy, so more waiting. I'm not even sure how I passed the time. The nurse came in a few more times in the next hour or two, and I was still a 7...no progression for a while, so she upped the pitocin and we waited. Hours later I was still a 7, so Dr. Meredith came in and put an internal monitor in so we could watch the baby a little closer and make sure everything was still ok. He upped the pitocin to as much as they can give, and told me the cord may be around the babies neck stopping him from coming down any further. If there was still no progression in a few more hours, we will have to think about C-section. That was a little scary to hear, but I figured C-section no way, it won't come to that. So more waiting. We had lots of guests bringing things to keep us busy, and bringing Skyler dinner. I hadn't eaten since 5:00 am this morning and I'll I got was flavored ice chips...I was starving. Now it was 11:00pm (16hrs and counting) Skyler and I were watching a movie and in the middle of the movie the nurse came in and said that Dr. Meredith called and wants us to prep you for a C-section. I acted totally OK with it, but then the nurse left and I start bawling. What girl ever wants to have a C-section? I mean I skipped over ever section about C-sections in my pregnancy books because I was just sure that wouldn't happen. I called my mom; she was super scared and bummed that I was having a C-section, but my dad kept reassuring her that everything would be fine. He even explained that on the good side I’d have a pretty baby because C-section babies don't get beat up and smashed. Susan came up to the hospital and explained everything that was going to happen, helping and talking me through things. So the Doctors and nurses came in, took my blood, did all their prep work, and I was on my way to the operating room. Dr. Meredith and Dr. Lovell (the Doc that delivered me) were both in the OR waiting for me. The doctor checked with Skyler to make sure he had the camera, and we were set. I was still in awe that they were about to cut me open, and all I had was an epidural...are you sure I'm not going to feel this, I thought. They cut me open and I waited...and waited. Finally they were ready to take the baby out, and I heard Dr. Meredith say, "WOW he is so stuck." I heard this a few more times then I heard him say, "He is really stuck, how am I going to get him out." I'm thinking I'm not sure but could you please hurry, I'm getting a little anxious. So they used suction, forceps and they pull and pull. All I felt was LOTS of pressure from the doctors pushing on my stomach and finally at 12:28 am the baby comes out. 7lb 12oz 20 1/2 in long. Then I heard the doctor say, "Wow he has lots of hair," he lifted Preston up to show me over the curtain but he didn't lift him very high because I didn't see a whole lot of anything. They whisked Preston off, and off goes Skyler and Susan. The doctors finished their work, sewed me up, and wheeled me back to my room. No baby, no husband, just me by myself.... After 18 hrs of labor, I was back in my room and no baby to show for all the hard work. Haha it really wasn't as bad as it sounds; it was a nice little break. The nurse said, “Well you’re all set. Is there anything I can get you.....?” Um YES! CAN I HAVE SOME WATER??? Finally after all day long I got my glass of water, I guess I was a little excited to drink it because I grabbed it, took a big drink, and spilled it all down myself! (come on give me a break, I was going on 20+hrs without a drink during labor) The whole time I was just thinking does he really have lots of hair? A while later, my sweet little boy came into the room. The nurse handed him to me and my heart melted. The cutest little thing you have ever seen, tons of dark hair, big hands, and worth every hour of labor and even worth a C-section. I never wanted to put him down. For one, he was so super cute, and I waited a long time for this, and two when I put him down that meant I had to pick him up, which required stomach muscle...which absolutely killed to use! Friday afternoon we finally decided that our sweet little boy needed a name, which we came to the conclusion of Preston Steel Romriell. Saturday afternoon came and the nurses suggested I stay another day, but said I could go home if I wanted to so ...I went home of course. I knew I wouldn't overwork myself. I mean I could hardly move anyway! It was a rather long weekend in the hospital, but worth every minute. So there you have it we went to the hospital
on Thursday expecting to have a baby on the 21st. Little did we know the baby had other plans. So along rolled Jan. 22 and we had ourselves a happy little family. We love him tons and are so blessed to have him in our family. We thank our Heavenly Father everyday for letting us have such a sweet little boy in our lives. After a few days, he has already changed our lives for the better. We love you Preston, Love Mom & Dad

Share this:

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. Brooke! Congrats! I'm sorry about the long hours and the C-section. I'm glad he's a healthy baby boy, and I love his name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Preston! Can't wait to squeeze & love him! How did he get so lucky with all that hair!? Miss you guys! & love you Preston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY brookie!! Sorry abouat the hard labor and c-section but you have an adorable baby! I love the name Preston Steel, sounds like, awesomeness! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

We love when our blog gets read. So leave us some comments and let us know you stopped by!