6/10/2012
We LOVE {Our} Elder Steel
Just thought I would share a little update about Lane, since we all miss him dearly and wonder how he is doing...he is doing incredible! About 8 or so months ago Elder Steel was transfered to a village where he was told to build a house for the Missionaries to live in. I'm not sure about all the details, but it was a pretty serious thing, they had a deadline and if they had the house finished by the deadline...(really good things would happen, but I don't remember what,haha sorry)...they would get to build more churches or something. So for months now he has been working extremely hard on the house in the morning and doing missionary work in the afternoons.
Here is a picture he sent of a "typical" African "home"...man, I'm spoiled! I'm not so sure what kind of house he is actually living in but he told me in a letter that he FINALLY got a door on their home after months, so I'm thinking it's not to fancy either.
(The nice building you see in the back corner on the left is the church). Over the past few months he has sent a few pictures of the progress.
This last month he finally finished the home and sent us the finished product! He was pretty proud of this house, and I can see why. It's like a castle compared to what they are used to. When Lane was talking to my parents on the phone for Mothers Day he told them he had been robbed 37 times... But whoever gets to live in the new house will be SO lucky...it's a fortress, there is no way anyone is getting in he said.
Sadly after all his hard work for months and months, he got transfered, so he didn't even get to live in the house. But he is now the Zone Leader, so he said he might get to stay in it when he goes back to the village for visits.
Elder Steel is doing so great, it is fun to read his emails and hear about the incredible experiences he is having in Africa. Of course we are all constantly praying for him because he keeps us reminded that anything and everything that can kill you lives in Mozambique.
Lane has always been a huge example to me, knowing that he is working so hard and his testimony is being strengthened everyday makes me SO excited to see what an incredible guy he will be when he gets home(In 10months).
He told me to watch the movie "Africa's Lost Eden" it's a show about Gorongosa but it's right next to his last area and in his zone, so it will kinda give you an idea of how he lives. But he says, take in the fact that I live in a village not the wild so it's not quite that crazy!!!....But if you want you can check it out!









Wow that house is amazing. I am way impressed. It is really weird to me because the last time I saw him he seemed so young and now he looks like a grown man!!! Crazy!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! That is so cool that he built that! As I was reading about it, I was thinking, oh wouldn't that be crappy if he didn't even get to live in it, then what do ya know? How sad!!! I'm so proud of him though, and holy cow, robbed 37 times?!! Geesh! How long has he been out now, I can't remember?
ReplyDeleteHe's been out for 15months
Delete