photo Steel-Family-20.jpg
Romriell photo Steel-Family-19.jpg
 photo Steel-Family-15.jpg

lo

ve

story

connect with us

3/09/2014

Who Are You? {Week 1: Name/Birth}

I have wanted to write down more of my own history lately. I keep the blog pretty well updated about our children and any exciting happening around our house. But I thought it might be fun to have some of my own childhood memories written down for my kids to read one day. 

I was reading my cousin, Megan's, blog and she happened to be doing just that. She has a list of "Who Are You?" questions she answers every week for a year. She kindly sent them to me. So here goes. They may get long and boring, to those of you who don't care much about my childhood, (which may be everyone, hehe) so feel free to skip over it all. 


1. WHERE WERE YOU BORN AND WHAT WERE THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF YOUR BIRTH?

I was born while my family was living in Sugar City Idaho (Small house, small income). I was technically born in Rexburg, at the Madison Memorial Hospital (same place Preston was born…and we were both delivered by the same doctor, Dr. Lovell). I was born February 4th, 1989, during the bitter cold of the Rexburg winters (Must be why I love winter so much).
Were there other children already in the family?

I was the fourth child born in my family. I had two brothers and one sister at the time. Shane, Brittany, and Jake. Later was joined by three younger brothers, Lane, Ryan, and Tayler. I have three siblings older than me, three younger than me. I always try to pull the whole "middle child" thing...but know one takes it :)

 How did your parents choose your name?

I know I have asked about my name before but I have completely forgot. All I remember is that Brody…and maybe Danielle were both options, until I was actually born. Then, well…Brooke it was!

Here are my parents version of how my name was chosen.
Dad's first
I can’t remember if we knew we were having a boy or girl but by baby 4 we were used to the idea of having names picked out in advance with of course the idea that after the baby was born and if the name fit then we would choose that name. So, just as you mentioned I really like the name Brodi for a girl and yes there was a family in plano Idaho that have a girl named Brodi and I liked the name and the girls personality seemed to match it so I thought it was fun for a girl. Mom liked the name Danielle and it sounded pretty also as a sister name to brittany. Those seemed to be the girl names we had picked out I will add that mom never liked the name Brodi so I knew that we would never have a girl named Brodi which really I was okay with because eventually the Brodi that I knew turned out to be of lesser character if you know what I mean but I hung on for the fun of the tease with mom. After you were born which was the most traumatic birth of all the kids, mom had a placental abruption before you were born so she lost a lot of blood and the delivery was traumatic and the recovery was traumatic and mom had a reaction to the pain meds afterwords and she was so anemic she could not stand without getting light headed and passing out and sometimes I am amazed that we had any more kids after that! but I had a lot of time with you in the hospital so I would call you danielle or Brodi or whatever else came to my mind and nothing fit we left the hospital without  name for you because nothing fit and we were not going tot name you until we felt and then knew it was right! We had talked about Brooke and even called you Brooke but we were not sure because mom liked danielle so much. But eventually we choose Brooke and as soon as we did that and we both started calling you Brooke it felt right and that is how it started.

Mom's Version: 
ok here goes the story, men are often times less attentive to detail so he missed a buggy, I did cave in and let him have his way about your name, but everyone in the hospital who asked us said what are you naming her, Brodi, is that a boy name, oh thats different, then the final  and last comment was Brodi isn’t that the name of that talking horse on t.v. . thats when I put my foot down and said sorry, noone likes that name, and were not naming her that, Matt agreed. then i loved the name Daniel but there was a famous author who’s name was Danielle Steel, and I was worried about that being all you would ever hear, so we fell back to a name we had picked out earlier when I was praying for twins brittany and brooke. and you did get it. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love when our blog gets read. So leave us some comments and let us know you stopped by!