photo Steel-Family-20.jpg
Romriell photo Steel-Family-19.jpg
 photo Steel-Family-15.jpg

lo

ve

story

connect with us

6/15/2011

Preston Goes Cold Turkey

The time has come...

For the past couple months Preston has only been using his plug when he goes to sleep. When I say plug I mean pacifier...and yes, I really do call it a plug (because it does exactly that...plugs them up). Anyway, the plug at night was going great for months, he would lay right down and wouldn't make a peep. Then he started finding his plug during the days and would never take it out. When I would try to take it away it was a fight. So I decided the only way I could fix that was to take it away for good. So last week I took it away and sent him to bed with nothing. Wow, that was not a good idea, he cried and cried and cried (I guess I didn't realize how much he thought he needed that thing). The next night was the same thing, and I just wouldn't give in. So we found this little elephant that has a music box in him and thought maybe that would replace his beloved plug. Wrong again, it didn't completely work but it did shorten the nightly cry to about 5-10 min. which was way better 30-45 min. Well 1 week down without a plug and Preston was still not giving up, he not only cried at night but he made sure we knew how mad he was throughout the day. He was going through withdrawals... someone needs to invent latex patches! haha Well Monday rolls around and I think to myself, maybe I should just give in he is not giving up and what's the big deal with a plug at night. So I go to lay him down for bed, he grabs his elephant says night, night and closes his eyes.....Is this for real?? YES this is for real, we are now on day 2 of no crying and it's glorious. We actually did it, I thought the day would never come. After all this hard work I actually feel bad for him, I see all these little babies with their plugs and it kind of breaks my heart that he doesn't have one, but man am I glad that I don't have to go through what I did with an older child, Preston's only 16 months and he gave us plenty of grief!

The only way to calm him down last week was to turn a movie on, so this is Preston calming himself with a movie and not his plug.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I call it a plug, too :) And I'm glad you are past the crying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go you plug stealer! I know how rough that can be. Glad it's over with!! And really 16 months isn't bad..now if he made it to 3, I'd let you know there's a problem (: haha

    ReplyDelete

We love when our blog gets read. So leave us some comments and let us know you stopped by!