photo Steel-Family-20.jpg
Romriell photo Steel-Family-19.jpg
 photo Steel-Family-15.jpg

lo

ve

story

connect with us

7/16/2011

Welcome To The Hawkeye State

We finally made it safely to Iowa, and we love it here!

This post is a little scatter brained...but so is my life and house right now.

The drive was LONG like always but we split it into two days which made it way more bearable! Skyler's parents flew to Idaho for our nephew Jaxton's baby blessing the week before the move so they were able to help us out with the drive back to Iowa (They also live in Iowa just 3 1/2 hr from where we moved). And a major help they were, we wouldn't have wanted to do it without them!

Dena, Preston and I were in our car, and Skyler and Farrell were driving the U-HAUL with this sweet creepy looking fish on it. At one point Dena and I were following a U-HAUL with this fish on it (for a few miles) and it wasn't even Skyler, HaHa. We were dreading the long drive with Preston so we ran to the store the night before we left and got ourselves a DVD player for the headrest in front of Preston, and man was it one of the greatest purchases ever! We still had to do some major entertaining when the movies weren't playing but for the most part Preston did GREAT, I couldn't have asked for much more out of such a little guy!

We stopped at Dena and Farrell's for a day before we finished up the last leg of the trip. That night Preston was sleeping...or supposed to be sleeping in his pack-n-play and climbed out, right onto the floor. Poor little guy is still walking around with a giant goose egg on his forehead.

* * * * * *

It was super HOT and HUMID (I think they said 85%+ humidity) the day we unloaded, but surprising enough we survived...which I didn't think we would. This heat is a different sort of heat, anyone from the east and especially my sister Brittany in Miami will probably laugh their heads off to think that I'm dying in this humidity because it's probably not as bad as it could be, but let me assure you...ITS BAD, It's going to take some getting used to.


The unpacking part is coming along but it will take us a while before our home is nice and cute and organized. We were in town for maybe 3-4hrs and the ward called and had three dinners scheduled. Our neighbors from Rexburg, The bodily's, moved to Iowa last year to start dental school, we didn' t know where they lived and hadn't talked to them but we moved in across the street from them...how crazy is that. They have been such a huge help already, Preston has been over at their house playing a few times so we can get some unpacking done. They have been so kind to us, they are going to be great friends during this dental school journey.
Right now our place looks a lot like this...a construction zone!


Snaps shots from U of I campus.

We live in a small town outside of Iowa City that is surrounded by corn and soy bean fields (I love that we're surrounded by corn fields it makes me feel at home). To get to town the fast way you can take the BIG interstate, the first time I drove on it I thought to myself, this is going to take some major getting used to...the second time I drove on the interstate I thought to myself, NO WAY am I going to get used to this, the back roads are fine with me! I am a small town girl and am perfectly happy about it. The interstate probably isn't that bad compared to bigger city traffic but it's enough to make me hate driving (I'm so glad we decided not to go to Louisville for dental school, I would be scared to drive anywhere in that town)!

Besides those few changes Iowa is great! There are beautiful trees everywhere, there are fireflies at night (my favorite), but best of all I'm here with my sweet boys, sharing this new adventure!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it there safely. That's funny about the Interstate. I take the freeway as often as I can to get to places...it's faster. I guess I'm a total city girl! Good luck in Iowa. :) My friend and her husband just moved away from there. Too bad, you really would have liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool that you moved in accross from your friends! Too funny! Glad that you made it there safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your move went well! Hopefully the unpacking goes quickly--that's my least favorite part of moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last comment just got deleted. Boo! ....long story short...help is on the way dear!!! I'm coming to help unpack & decorate :) see you soon. So glad we live "close" to each other for a while! Xoxo beebs

    ReplyDelete
  5. We miss you guys and are excited to see the new place all decorated and beautified by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that last comment was Sadie:) I didn't know I was signed on to your parents email! haha. sorry

    ReplyDelete

We love when our blog gets read. So leave us some comments and let us know you stopped by!